Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Curiosities

The time has come the walrus said to speak of many things, of shoes and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and kings--or something like that from Alice in Wonderland.
Antique malls are just that to me. They are filled with curiosities.
I've added to the wonders with a small booth. I'll hope to make money in the long run but short run will be operating at a deficit. Pricing will be a challenge. I see items marked dirt cheap--where's any profit? to what I find as hard to swallow.
This isn't a high-end shop. Appears to be a middle of the road to rising quality.
I want to keep an eye on merch in other booths and see what moves. Is there a middle ground for pricing. I'm considered cheap so many things seem high to me. How much is a person likely to drop on a whim? I suppose if one is browsing in a mall they must, at least in the back of their minds, be considering the purchase of a treasure. If they are furniture shoppers will a $2,500 dining table, chairs and cabinet or server be reasonable? Not that I have one yet, or even enough guts to set that high a price. I'd be happy to double my cost, love a higher return, and may have to settle for a quick profit to turn over items to gain funds for new purchases.
I look forward to continuing business after retirement.

No comments: