Monday, February 26, 2007

Time to act

Antiques and collectibles auctions are strange beasts. I might see some of the same people at auctions through various auctioneers but the tone of each auction is unique. The personality of the auctioneer comes through loud and clear in most cases. The conduct of the floor help adds to the tone of the event.
A well trained crew lends credibility to items being sold and I feel to the honesty of the whole affair. I attended two auctions this weekend and they were at opposite ends of goods quality and audience. Both were in nondescript bare buildings with cement floors, fluorescent lights, bare restrooms and limited food options. One had great items, not necessarily clean and dusted, but well described by auctioneer and I was clearly able to know what was up for bids. The other used video cameras and hand held items, but the noise was often so loud it was hard to know if the item on screen or the hand held item was up. The movement of the cameras could cause dizziness.
Some auctions hand items to the buyer, others move to a "secure" area and you show your paid receipt before collecting your treasures.
some mark the bidder clearly on large furniture items, others don't mark the furniture.
Websites for these auctions are often helpful if there is some description, proper naming and at least a ruler to know sizes.
Some auctioneers call all defects, others figure you had time to examine/touch each item yourself so you should know about repairs, hairlines, rough or smooth points on cut crystal etc.
I have not had time to handle every item I am interested in. I wonder if everyone in the business can spend a couple of hours pre-auction to inspect?
Is anyone in the antiques business out there who would comment on the hows to be successful? There does not seem to be an programs on this, more of an osmosis, seat of the pants, learning. I have subscribed to Antiques Week and the Journal of Antiques. I look at Antiques and Collectibles and the magazine Antiques from the library. I look at price guides and the colorful collectors books. I walk thru any antique mall store I find. What things can I do to become successful income wise? I'm jumping in an taking a booth with about 100 items including some chairs, small tables, a few lamps and wide variety of smalls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.