Thursday, February 8, 2007

Books and more books

I'm amazed at the variety of books out there on collectibles and antiques. There's one just on Housekeeping toys--those tin pots and pans, irons, stoves so many had. That time period of teaching girls the art of keeping a house correctly. After all no respectable woman worked outside the home. What a lot of rot! I don't know why these would have created a fond memory for women. It just ties one to the drudge of housework.
On a more interesting note I'm trying to obtain a copy of cabinet of curiosities through the library. Inter Library Loan can be wonderful when it works. If I really want to own a copy then I can pursue the used book circuit.
For pricing guides I think they are high. I want to be able to purchase items at auction an turn around and use as inventory for an antiques/collectible booth in a mall location. What's a good rule of thumb? Sell at 2/3rds the list "value" or some point where I would actually make a profit and the sale. How long should items sit on a shelf?
Advice on operating a booth would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: