Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Profits $$$ or not?

One month down and it looks like I made money at least on paper, I sold the items for more than I paid for them. Of course I didn't add in my costs of time and gas acquiring items and getting to mall. Let alone any cash out to me. Just on a buzz of they sold for more!
How do I figure a return on investment? If I bought an item for $100 and sold it for $100 that's 100%? If I sold it for $200 that's 200% $244 would be 244% or is it only 144% profit since I recouped the original $100?
Sold it for $80 so that would be a 20% lost? only made 80% of value?
Profit margins-- so if sold for $244 the margin is 144%?
Factoring in my cost of time, transportation at what rate? minus cost of monthly supplies--tags, cleaning products, light bulbs, etc would then give a net profit or loss right?
Most of the books I've looked at talk about raw materials to make a product so that isn't always a factor.
Is a 10% margin after all costs added profitable? Should I "pay" myself monthly or plow it all back in?

No comments: