Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Grease Jars

Rearranged stock and added some new items this week, only a few sales by mid-month. Walked around the mall to see what offers had to offer. Saw several grease jars--what did people do with the drippings? During WWII I think there was some kind of "recycling" for all sorts of "trash" including the grease. Did people use the grease to coat a pan for pan fried items? I just put ours in an old cup while hot then when cool or solid put it into a can or plastic bag before out to the trash. I was always told not to let in go down the drain. My parents grew up during the depression and I still have some habits of my father--the old waste not adage and the pack rat tendencies. Always was an alley picker as a kid and still am pleased with treasures I retrieve from all sorts of places. Those tall cans I retrieved down the alley were great for kick the can or cut holes, add twine and make those can walkers.

No comments: